Thursday, November 10, 2011

Key points which might help in your interviews

To:F.6 and F.7 Students
From:Ms. Kuby Chan

Key points which might help in your interviews
  • Be well-prepared and remember:

  • “You are making a presentation, but not responding to questions”
  • Make people remember you (how to tell people your name)
  • No need to be apologetic (avoid saying “sorry’ all the time)
  • Should try your best to cheer up the interviewers or even the interviewing process itself


  • Voice projection
  • make sure that you can be heard
  • be very clear in your pronunciation (especially your name)
  • show your passion through your voice, intonation of your speech


  • Facial expression
  • be cheerful, showing respect to your group members by looking at them
  • smiling face, attention given to your group member while he/she is speaking
  • be connected (refer to “Your Turn to Express Yourself” below)


  • Posture
  • showing your self-confidence
  • sit straight


  • Body language
  • use of your hands/arms
  • movement of your eyes/head …


  • Introducing yourself
    Name of yourself
    (clear with every syllable, Christian name being easier to be caught & remembered, can also try a short acronym)
    Name of the school
    Age
    Background (family, hobby, interest…)

    How to Begin
    Please grant me the chance to be the first one to introduce myself
    Please allow me the privilege to be the first one to express my own opinion
    (but don't overdo it, don't turn them into tired clichés)

    Your Turn to Express Yourself (be connected)
    To be connected by saying:
    His hobby is … For me, I like ….
    He is talking about music. My hobby is completely different because I like sports.
    I share his view / I don’t agree with him / her on …

    Content
  • Show your strengths
  • e.g.my academic qualification entitles me a place in your institute / faculty
    HKU is one of my choices
    HKU should be proud of me when …

  • Knowledge of the university applying for
  • e.g.CUHK is a knowledge-based university.
    HKUST was established in 1991 and is celebrating its 20th Anniversary.
    HKU is a renowned university with a pool of world-class professors.
    Search for information on the frontier disciplines (faculties) of the university
    Hope that I can become an alumnus / alumna capable of contributing back to the university after graduation.
    I am much impressed by ….

  • Knowledge of the faculty applying for

  • Be familiar with the terms / jargons of the discipline you are pursuing
    e.g.Scientists:90% genius to go with 10 % curiosity
      Journalist: “Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish” by Mr. Steve Job
      Engineer: character-wise, I am not that disciplined, but I like challenges
      Geography: different disciplines of Geography, e.g. economic, social, geomorphology...
      Nursing: I have a caring heart for the weak / sick / deprived
      Law: I aspire to modernize the legal practice in HK
      Accounting: I aspire to modernize the accounting practices in HK

  • Career planning

  • Relating your career plan to your own interest / hobby
    Be familiar with the qualifications required
    To become a professional, I will definitely study hard to gain the qualifications required
    News
  • Read the news of the day
  • Read through the most current “Newsweek” thoroughly (e.g. for quotations, etc.)


  • Others
    Your life motto
    Think of 2 heroes (related to your choice of discipline / faculty / career)
    What to say when being invited to conclude in 15 seconds
    What to say when being invited to ask a question

    Mr. Henry Tsoi’s concluding remarks:
    Shortbe concise and precise
    Strong pick the most convincing point and be selective
    Special quote your personal experiences
    Sound give meaningful comments and support
    Straight be to the point

    No Worry! Please read the Comforting Words from our Lord:
    Isaiah 41:10 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    10 Do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be afraid, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you; I will help you;
    I will hold on to you with My righteous right hand.
     
    Remember to pray to our Lord in the principles of His promises, for interview, public examination or your future:
    Proverbs 3:3-6 New International Version (NIV)
    3 Let love and faithfulness never leave you;
    bind them around your neck,
    write them on the tablet of your heart.
    4 Then you will win favor and a good name
    in the sight of God and man.
    5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    6 in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will direct your paths.

No comments:

Post a Comment